Here is a draft of some basic rules of engagement for this demonstration project:
1. World objects will be located on the LNBC server in a copy of the Uberpath
2. New objects can be uploaded to Uberpath by project participants
3. A world called Objects will be created to house the Uberpath object yard and AW tutorials
4. A world called !HUB will act as the gateway where first time users will enter the universe. It will be a showcase of all the worlds in the NEXUS universe.
5. A world called Sandbox will be available for in-service and pre-service teachers to try out, and learn about, virtual worlds for learning.
1. NEXUS is a closed universe: registered citizens only
2. No tourist accounts
3. No swearing filter will be in place, unless it can’t be turned off
4. Text chat may be logged at the discretion of the world-owner
5. VoIP, whisper, and telegrams may be used at the discretion of the world-owner
6. Students will report offensive behaviour to their teacher
7. Teachers will work together to handle any behavioural problems
8. World owners may eject any student from their world at their discretion, and ban them for as long as they deem appropriate.
9. Students may customize their own avatar, but the dress code will be the same as for school
10. An Acceptable Use Agreement (includinig virtual world netiquette) will be provided to each world-owner. Each student and their guardian must sign a copy of this AUA before getting access to the NEXUS.
1. World-owners should collaborate with each other and allow students to do so, also
2. World-owners must showcase their worlds in the designated pavilion in the !HUB world.
3. World-owners must accommodate bookings by other world-owners of mutually acceptable times for students to experience their world. This includes limiting access to the world to the visiting class only.
Comments? Complaints? Suggestions? I'd be happy to explain my rationale for any of the above items.
I like #3 in protocol, that classes can book to visit each other's worlds. That answers a big question for me in terms of supervision.
Way to go guys! May I also suggest you visit "Freebie" world in the AW 3D universe to add many of their detailed objects to help fill out your object path content. Lots of things there like furniture, dishware, vehicles, tools, hardware...etc.
Very exciting to be able to offer such an opportunity to kids! Great place to model collaborative learning among kids and adults. Looking forward to getting going! Just a few objects to upload!! :-)